Sunday, April 5, 2009

Remembering Chance

We have some sad news to share. I am having a hard time writing this, but felt the need to pay a little tribute to our wonderful dog and best friend Chance. We woke up yesterday morning to find that Chance past away sometime on Friday night. We are not sure what happened, but he had not been himself for about a week and we just attributed it to his hips because he had hip dysplasia. He had been walking a little slower and not eating very well. On Friday night I let him outside and then helped him back in to his bed where he laid down to sleep. We found him the next morning and he was gone. We don't know why this happened and I am sure we never will, but all we know is that we lost this good friend and companion of ours way too soon. Here a few great memories of our wonderful Chance.

Chad and I adopted Chance from the San Antonio humane society in January of 2003. He jumped right out to us and we took him home a few days later. We named him Chance because we were giving him the chance to come home to a loving family. He was our first baby! He was a very sweet little puppy and was very loving. Anyone who knows him knows that he was quite a jumper and a barker, but that was all just part of his very excited personality. We had so much fun in those puppy months and he always put a smile on our faces whenever he was around.

Chance was the best dog ever when it came to being around the kids. He was a little weary when we first brought Austin home from the hospital, but he warmed up quickly. I have to say that Chance never once chewed up a toy or stuffed animal of the kids. He was quite the protector. His favorite place to sleep was under Austin's crib. Austin and Chance quickly because best buddies! Austin loved to take him on walks and play fetch with him. When Maddie came along Chance promptly took up his spot again under the crib. He was always very protective of both the kids and didn't really like it when any other dogs would come around.

As I was going through some of our pictures to share with you I discovered that Chance made it into a lot more pictures than I even realized! He seemed to pop up everywhere. It just goes to show how involved he was in our lives. We tried to take him everywhere we could with us. He always did really well on car trips and always wanted to be a part of everything. His favorite trips were to the Fuller's lake house where he would swim from sun up to sun down if we let him. We would pretty much have a wet dog all day long, but he loved it!
We shared some wonderful memories with Chance over the years and he will be missed always. We loved him and there will always be a place in our hearts for Chance.

4 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm so sorry Becky! I got teary when I read this. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. :( I'm sorry this was so unexpected. You're in my thoughts today!

K.M.L said...

Becky, I am so sorry to hear about Chance. The pics are beautiful and the memories you have will last forever....

MommyLovin2 said...

Chad and Becky,

We are so sad to hear about Chance. We will miss him very much too. Ashley said a little prayer that he is running around in Heaven with all the other doggies that we know who have gone up there!
Love,
Sean, Eva, Ashley and Brooke

Bill, Kim, Kaitlyn, and Ryan said...

Oh Becky, I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you and the kids must be going through. And with Chad gone too. My heart breaks for you and for the kids. I know they adored him. It is so hard to lose a member of the family and Chance surely was a member of yours. Much love and prayes of comfort.